DuckDuckGo is blocked on Airtel 4G

Hi All,

For the past two days the search engine DuckDuckGo is blocked. I’m able to access the search results through Tor, so I’m certain this is the case.

• Is there a government order mandating that ISPs should block this website ? Can anyone share it ?
  • What justification could be there to block this web-site ?

Regards
Varghese

3 Likes

blocked on other ISPs like ACT as well. it is supposedly blocked by “competent authority” as is evident by the standard message you get “The URL has been blocked as per the instructions of the Competent Government Authority/ in compliance to the orders of Court of Law”. apparently some ISPs do only DNS based blocking but in other cases, they block using some other method which I deduce is SNI based blocking. Even with a custom DNS and https you’ll end up with

2 Likes

Working now on Airtel 4G :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you for bringing this to our notice! Please do report this violation here: https://savetheinternet.in/report/

4 Likes

Not working on ACT for me yet. Was my default search engine too :frowning:

2 Likes

Folks! Some updates here. Join in for the conversation (notice : this integrates with the post on the website and so more people can participate and contribute to our chatter) – Reverse the block on DuckDuckGo. We wrote to the Government. #WhatTheDuck

2 Likes

DuckDuckGo is still inaccessible for vodafone-idea users!

1 Like

What the duck! We will write again to the government departments. Just wanting to give it sometime for user reports to come in again!

5 Likes

Reported the duckduckgo.com

1 Like

So very interestingly, when everyone was complaining about this being down, I never noticed. It was only because I was using Cloudflare and Google DNS. Of course, right after that we had a Cloudflare outage but it was resolved with minimal impact to us in India.

Cheers…Kishore

1 Like

The New York Times is timing out on ACT Fibernet and Jio. Tried a few DNS servers but the IP address itself isn’t reachable on these ISPs. It is fine on Airtel and other VPN services.

loading now on ACT Fibernet BLR

Negative in South Delhi.

Just tried it, it is blocked in Jaipur.

DuckDuckGo is now operational on the Vodafone-Idea network.

Google DNS is terrible for privacy… Use openDNS.

From what I’ve seen, most of these blocks are done on a DNS level, which will basically prevent your browser from resolving the domain name to the IP and restrict access. Pick an alternate DNS provider than your ISP from here: Encrypted DNS Resolvers | PrivacyTools