Has the IFF ever thought of making T-shirts?

It seems like a nice idea to me and I think I’d love to have one. For example, see what the ACLU does at Clothing: Sweatshirts and T-shirt Designs for Women, Men and Kids | ACLU Official Store - American Civil Liberties Union :ok_hand:

5 Likes

I’d love to have a couple too!

2 Likes

We hear you Srijan and Rishabh! I’d love some t-shirts to show off my place of work too tbh :stuck_out_tongue: We’d initially planned on getting some printed for the Shreya Singhal and the 2017 privacy judgement anniversary events we host every year but well, a certain pandemic occurred :frowning:

But we’ve been pondering over this for a while now and we’ll try our best to make it happen soon! <3

10 Likes

We did attempt an experiment last year with a small batch of T-Shirts titled as, “Digital Swaraj”. As Shivani has indicated we will soon try to get to this! Delays may occur though as we want to focus on quality.

(link to tweet)

Our guiding philosophy on all merch is, “independent value”. This jargon essentially means that the item should provide utility as a standalone item. Something if you see online you would be tempted to pick up. Hence, from design creation, to the fabric texture (breathe, wash and durability, feel and fit) and printing has to meet high standards.

Ultimately we want IFF merch to stand out, like our work! Each person with a IFF T-shirt will be an ambassador for digital rights coolness. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I’d be down to buy a couple of tshirts if they’re reasonably priced and the art is sufficiently fancy and relevant.

Like I wouldn’t go for this Digital Swaraj tshirt because the window glitch thing that’s happening only happens on Windows and I’m a Linux person.

Well shirts are a great one and i believe having those of custom design is a great win as well. This is why i really love to see how the games are going to look at with those shirts. There are really great elements of uniqueness but shirts that we wear are also a statement in the long run. This is why being able to talk about it is already a great win and i believe that it is a chance for us to prove that we still can keep on making more about us as well as that too.

We have finally been able to get the IFF T-Shirt done.

How do I get it?

• For donors : A quality T-shirt is costly and we need to budget :nerd_face: Initially we plan to send it completely gratis to high value donors who have recently participated in a fundraiser to help us overcome the drop in memberships due to the new RBI Mandate. We will examine costs and try to build it within our membership plans when we achieve the ability (in a stable manner) to sign up people as recurring donors. As many people know, at present bank back-ends are not completely ready and systems are glitchy. On timelines and dispatches, we are still working it out. A part of it is also due to a shortage of working hands as much of our team is remote and it ends up sometimes being me and DK (our office admin) packing them up on a weekend.

• For orders : We have also collaborated with the vendor (FranklyWearing) who has agreed to conduct a sale by themselves for the general public. This will ensure wider circulation and help in the meanwhile. Oh, and part of the proceeds from sale will after taxes be donated to IFF! You can order it here.

Why this took so long?

• Design : We wanted to have a design that would be “cool” enough for our community to wear out to offices on casual workdays (not only worn as lounging or night t-shirt). Here, we achieved a great panel from Rachita Taneja! This is an incredibly exciting collaboration with Sanitary Panels that speaks to the values of progressive constitutionalism that IFF speaks to.

• Comfort and fit : Staff has tested the comfort and fit of these T-shirts. We have opted for a superior cotton blend, it is breathable and the print quality is great. Through a process of iteration we fixed on a design that works on multiple colors and the IFF logo on the shirt sleeve. This is as per our stated commitment of, “independent value” as committed in the post made here in June, 2020. Sorry, this took us time, but we wanted to do it well.

In future there will be more T-shirt designs where IFF will aim to collaborate with artists, designers and illustrators who represent progressive politics and advance IFF’s mission statement. Our ultimate objective is that these items are comfortable, durable and inspire greater awareness for digital rights.

5 Likes

I feel like there’s great potential here for another shirt with a much simpler design. One with basically the IFF logo on front and a message on back. Or even just the IFF logo TBH

I know I’d definitely buy a couple of those and think others might too!

1 Like

Yes, perhaps it could have the logo and an “official” IFF tagline or motto (something like: Digital Rights are Fundamental Rights).