Hottakes from todays news: Facebook 'likes' Jio

Facebook to get 9.9% stake in Reliance’s Jio Platform for Rs 43,574 crore.

• Jio Platforms houses Reliance’s music, TV and cinema streaming services. It also includes a high-speed mobile network that has signed up 388 million customers in less than four years and made mobile data much cheaper in India than it used to be.

• Reaching Jio’s users might interest Facebook, which attempted and failed to expand its free internet initiative, Free Basics, in India.

• Along with the investment, Jio Platforms, Reliance Retail Limited and WhatsApp have also entered into a commercial partnership agreement to further accelerate Reliance Retail’s New Commerce business on the JioMart platform using WhatsApp and to support small businesses on WhatsApp by, for example, configuring WhatsApp as a communication channel between companies and users via JioMart, an electronic commerce platform.

• Whatsapp’s payment system finally secured regulatory approval, in February 2020, for a phased roll out after two years of regulatory hurdles since its trial run.

• In the future, Facebook and Reliance might possibly look to embed a variety of online services together along the lines of what WeChat has done in China, where Facebook is shut out.

IFF has put out a short statement here. What are your thoughts on Facebook’s investment in Jio?

News Links:
FB.com: Facebook Invests $5.7 billion in India’s Jio Platforms

ET: Can Facebook and Mukesh Ambani be really happy together?

The Indian Express: Boost for small sellers, beyond chats on WhatsApp: What Facebook-Jio deal could mean for India

6 Likes

Reaaly is it a new ploy by FB to start with smthng like freebasics anew albeit in a diff pakage but backed by the strong experience of Reliance in the power corridors and probably a better PR team with a sound understanding of the market and with the backing of news media it has??

2 Likes

Hey Sandeep,

Thank you for voicing your concerns.

Concerns have been highlighted by our supporters on zero-rating plans and wider net neutrality protections. Zero-rating (pricing distortion) is prohibited by clear regulation, but the actual implementation of the framework remains largely non-existent.

Net neutrality laws likely to be tested in clearance for Facebook-Jio deal

Here are links to some of IFF’s work in the field which may interest you.

FAQ: SaveTheInternet.in

IFF’s counter comments to TRAI on net neutrality enforcement #SaveTheInternet

1 Like

Hi,
Yes but is there a slight chance that in near future given the right pressure and with the advent of 5G things could get sketchy and possibly a partial rollback of these regulations could take place?i am taking into consideration 2 things

1. if i remember correctly there were some concerns about 5G and NN.Correct me if i am wrong here.

2. also the fact about laws in india being moreover on paper than on the ground although i agree its more to do with the NN inplementation which was recently in consultation stage.

Please dont get me wrong but a bit concerned seeing one crook buying into another.

To add to this folks from CIS wrote for The Diplomat: