PSK and Aarogya Setu

Inspite of repeated undertakings in courts, Passport Seva Kendra continues to insist upon installing Aarogya Setu on our phones. While the website “advises” applicants to install it, nowhere does it convey the impression that this is not mandatory. Recently an applicant in Mumbai was denied entry on grounds of not installing the app.

In Karnataka, the honourable High Court has passed multiple orders clearly stating that non-installation of the app cannot be grounds for denying services by either the Central or State Government, most recently on January 28, 2021. How does one convince the staff at the entry of this? Do I have to print and carry the judgement? Do I have to carry a non-smartphone? Does anyone have any experience? Looking for tips and advice.

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for letting us know. Similar undertakings have been given even prior to the case in the Kartnataka High Court to the High Court of Kerala in petitions by Jackson Mathew. We will take this us with counsel and hopefully have it addressed. @Devdutta

1 Like

@aparatbar Thanks for your response. Also wanted to add that the passport seva toll free helpline sings the same tune regarding the app. The language regarding the installation is misleading at best and disingenuous at worst.

Following up on this, I spoke with a staff at the RPO Bengaluru over phone and with the Passport Seva helpline. Either the order (reg: Hon’ble K’taka High Court) has not been passed to them or they aren’t following it. The RPO staff advised me to write a self-attested declaration stating that I don’t have any symptoms of COVID-19. The staff at the helpline told that entry to the PSK (for any reason, including non-installation of the app) is the sole prerogative of the PSK officer (which is a clear violation of multiple orders by the Hon’be K’taka HC).

3 Likes