CAG report card finds Delhi Police lacking - CCTV / Digital Initiatives commentary

CAG report card finds Delhi Police lacking

News Report - Times of India

CAG Report - PDF

Key issues

• Chapter 6 provides details of the communication systems including CCTVs being used in Delhi Police and flags deficiencies in the systems being used
  • Chapter 9 contains results of our audit of various digital initiatives of Delhi Police
2 Likes

Hey @Anushka this looks interesting! Do check this out.

2 Likes

Some of my takeaways from the report:

• As on 1st April 2019, the sanctioned strength of Delhi Police was 89,6704, against which the actual strength was 79,621 i.e. 88.8 per cent.
  • As of 1st April 2019, against overall shortage of 11 per cent of police personnel in Delhi Police, there was 18 per cent shortage in the police districts.
  • It was also observed that Police Districts with higher IPC Crimes had comparatively higher manpower shortage.
  • Instead of equitably distributing the manpower shortage of Delhi Police in all the Districts/units, police deployment was skewed in favour of districts with heavy VIP presence i.e. New Delhi, rather than districts with higher crimes reported.
  • In the last ten years, the Delhi Police has installed 4,100 CCTV cameras in entire Delhi to keep a watch on the public places by deployment of cameras at strategic locations.
  • Total expenditure on CCTVs: 231.44 Crore INR
  • All the CCTV cameras installed are connected to the Local Control Station (LCS) placed locally, and the Master Control Station (MCS) located at the police station concerned. The video feed can be monitored at the Police Station, the District Control Room and at C4i (Integrated Command, Control, Coordination and, Communication Centre).
  • Audit observed that during 2018-19, the percentage of cameras which could be monitored (as on the 15th of every month) at C4i ranged from 22 to 48 per cent only. Surveillance feed from the remaining cameras was not available either due to faulty cameras or network related issues.
  • Audit observed that unlike the proposals for other metro cities (for Safe City Project), the proposal of Delhi Police did not include any non-technological component such as community policing, soft skill training, induction of women in police etc. and it was surveillance-centric despite the fact that existing cameras installed by Delhi Police were not functioning properly.
  • Delhi Police and Indian Space Research Organisation–Advanced Data Processing Research Institute (ISRO-ADRIN) had signed (December 2015) an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to develop CMAPS (Crime Mapping, Analytics and Predictive System), i.e. a web-based application deployed in Delhi Police Headquarters and accessible via a browser from all police stations and districts of Delhi.
  • The major function of CMAPS was to spatially map the crime types, analyze the crime related data based on various parameters (region, frequency, crime type etc.), so as to gain a better insight into criminal behaviour which helps control it. The project was to be completed by December 2018 but has not yet been completed.
  • Crime Mapping, Analytics and Predictive System (CMAPS) joint project of Delhi Police and Indian Space Research Organisation-Advanced Data Processing Research Institute (ISRO-ADRIN) to develop a Decision Support System by mapping crime data and generating actionable information has since been functioning sub-optimally. The planned project objectives have been abandoned and its utility is questionable of late.
1 Like