#ParliamentUpdate: The Cinematograph (Amendment) Bill, 2023 passed in both Houses of Parliament

#ParliamentUpdate

Yesterday i.e. July 31, 2023 at 2:51 PM, the Lok Sabha passed the Cinematograph (Amendment) Bill, 2023. The bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha on July 27, 2023 at 4:23 PM.

During discussion on the bill, the issue of OTT content regulation was raised by a few MPs. Anurag Thakur, Minister for I&B clarified that OTT platforms are bound by the Code of Ethics under the IT Rules, 2021 which gives them self-regulatory powers.

He said that the Ministry of I&B held a meeting with OTT players to ensure they remain responsible under their self-regulatory power to ensure vulgar & obscene content is regulated. At present, they’re awaiting a report on steps taken by the OTT players.

He has clarified that if the OTT platforms fail to do so, the Ministry of I&B will step in to regulate the OTT space, clarifying that it is not keen upon doing so. He also said that the Ministry will put forward the concerns raised by the House in their subsequent meeting.