Privacy book recommendations?

Hey All!

I was curious if you had any recommendations for books on Privacy. I would love read more and understand the integrities, from privacy laws to its implementation and everything related. Would love to hear from you!

I’m currently reading We Have Root: Even More Advice from Schneier on Security, currently at sale at Humble Bundle. It is a collection of essays from Bruce Schneier on security, but they are all fairly accessible, and it does cover privacy to some extent.

The Privacy: A Very Short Introduction from OUP is a dense introduction that covers a lot of the current landscape fairly well.

3 Likes

The Networked Public by Amber Sinha is also a nice read. It doesn’t focus exclusively on privacy, the book is more of how policy and laws are being manipulated, and/or far behind some aspects of technology’s insidious aspects (e.g., misinformation, propaganda, etc). It does touch upon privacy in this context.

2 Likes

Authored with a slight academic bent yet engaging. Check out Solove’s Understanding Privacy.

3 Likes

Data and Goliath: The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World by Bruce Schneier
Data and Goliath is an eye-opening read. I mean, I understand how I’m under constant surveillance due to things like my smartphone or cookies or Facebook, and I understand that the government gets access to a lot of this information via the Snowden leaks, but I guess I never fully connected all the dots enough in a single unified understanding of my world.It explains, in clear and layman’s terms, how data about us is collected online and off, by both governments and corporations, and how it’s used to spy on us, sell us stuff, violate our privacy or give us actually useful services that provide great value.

3 Likes

Permanent Record is a good read.

3 Likes

Hey!
Just finished reading Ghost in the Wires! Really enjoyed it!
There is another book by Kevin Mitnick: The art of deception.
Really recommended for privacy geeks.
Regards
HA

3 Likes

The book Privacy 3.0: Unlocking Our Data-Driven Future by Rahul Matthan is an insightful read.

1 Like