I already have a ProtonMail account to secure my email communications and anonymity. Recently, I’ve started to consider moving to a paid subscription to
- More storage space and features
- Support their mission of privacy
One of the features available in the paid plans is the ability to link a custom domain. This got me thinking.
How am I supposed to keep my identity anonymous if the domain registry is public? Even with options to redact certain information from public view, domain registrars can be compelled to provide information to the government on who the owner is, right?
So my question is
- Should I upgrade to ProtonMail paid plan?
- Should I link it to a custom domain?
- Can I buy a domain from a registrar based out of countries with strict privacy laws?
- Any recommendations for (3) and any other alternatives for ProtonMail?
Thanks a lot.