Telcos to record bulk subscribers' GPS locations: DoT order

Can we file an RTI for this? Under what law are they allowed to ask for this meta data?

4 Likes

Sure @advkar983, you can fill the form here and help out! We will do the rest! https://internetfreedom.in/file-an-rti/

5 Likes

Yes, we can file a RTI request for this. Please fill the form linked in Apar’s comment.

Also here’s a link to an explainer on similar previous action taken by us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/internetfreedom.in/bulk-cdr-mass-surveillance/amp/

3 Likes

Done! :slight_smile: Can you please share the reframed questions once you send it? I’d like to learn how to draft questions for RTIs.

2 Likes

Not sure whether this is related:

1 Like

I’m not sure, but it’s equally terrifying!

1 Like

The article states that the data being recorded are for persons in possession of 10 or more SIM cards. That would eliminate a majority of the population and focus on persons involved in SIM related crimes as mentioned in the article?

And as per the order, it’s stated that acting on information from ‘security agencies’ the order was passed. Wouldn’t that simply imply they’re trying to strengthen the security around the issuance of SIM’s, again specifically to persons who are in possession of 10 or more SIM’s.

Personal opinion, the title of the article is misleading and as people term it ‘clickbait’ in nature.

Regards,
Sidharth

1 Like

Yes of course, that might be a possible perspective. But my fear is that if they can do it for one, they can do it for many. The State is known to over use the limited powers that are given to it.

2 Likes

Yes! The biggest problem is that all of this is happening in a legal vacuum. Section 69 of the IT Act allows the government to intercept, monitor and decrypt messages but it doesn’t envisage this kind of constant tracking of an entire category of people without any individualised suspicion.

4 Likes

I’m curious though - a lot of these discussions center around Government surveillance. Has there been any work on surveillance by private organisations and the legal backlash around it, especially in India? I’m aware of the criticism got by Amazon etc. in the UK, but nothing here at home.

1 Like

Hey hi. Did we get a response to this by any chance?

Don’t know about academic writing but there is a pending Supreme Court case, where IFF is an intervenor, in which Facebook and WhatsApp’s data sharing practices are under scrutiny. There is also some academic writing on lateral surveillance which may be of interest.

3 Likes

Read the comment -Section 69 of the IT Act allows the government to intercept, monitor and decrypt messages. Therefore law when collide with NasSec category of logics will always allow such interceptions & once that power is available someone or the other will use it - Turn Key Tyranny. So this is a technical operations & more money should be funded to them who take care of the technical side of the defensive offense to the menace of dragnet surveillance. The legal team can provide a cover fire but the battle has to be won by developing surveillance proof technologies like Tor. (Personal View).