WhatsApp related question!

I remember seeing some information about losing your WhatsApp data when you don’t accept the new privacy policy. I can’t find what exactly that was and how it works? Can anyone shed light? I haven’t accepted that privacy policy till date and continue to use WhatsApp.
Is anyone on here still using without having accepted the policy? Am I going to be losing old data bit by bit as long as I don’t accept it?

1 Like

Hi Dhani! Welcome to the IFF Forum :slight_smile:

I don’t have the answer to your question, but some of our members or staff might be able to shed some light on this!

As far as I remember, they’re not gonna do anything about it at the moment. Just gonna drop in some reminders here and there but no restrictions on the functionality.

1 Like

Hi @cyf0x welcome to the community! Thank you for your response :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s say you do not accept the new privacy policy now. When you change the phone, and install whatsapp on it, it is going to ask for acceptance and won’t work till you agree. So even if they do not do anything now and just keep prompting, within 2-3 years everyone would have automatically accepted the new policy as people usually change phones in 2-3 years or atleast have to do a factory reset.

Do we really have a way out without a quick law being put in place?

2 Likes

At that point I’d just suggest one should stop using WhatsApp all together! There are amazing alternatives to Whatsapp out there, from Signal to Telegram, Threema, Wire. It feels like you can’t possibly get rid of Whatsapp, but once you do, you’ll see it’s much ado about nothing!

Yess true, but there was just that one short period where everyone flocked to Signal but then never used it and then everyone just relaxed and got back to WhatsApp. So now that the momentum is lost, I’d just be trying to use an app that no one else is on, atleast that’s how it is with the people I know. But I know you do need to actively try to do that anyway in order to encourage everyone to slowly switch… Sigh.

2 Likes

I concur with you. And it is becoming harder with each passing day to get people to start using alternate apps. And the alternate apps are also not that interested in improving their reputation to capture the market from whatsapp.They seem to be happy with what little share they have. :frowning_face: