Which books are you reading these days?

I have recently reread the Diary Of A Young Girl, haven’t done it for years. I’m also reading this blog https://news.amomama.com/179616-meet-cast-beloved-movie-dodgeball-then-n.html about everything that interests me: movies, music, actors, celebrities etc. It’s a good thing to relax.

2 Likes

I’m currently reading (more like listening actually) to Mistborn : The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. It’s some really good fantasy with great characters and world building. I used to beat myself up for not reading more books, but I just couldn’t sit down and read anymore. So, I started listening to audiobooks this year and have already gone through 4 books! Highly recommend listening if you’re having trouble reading. Especially if you’re someone who listens to podcasts.

2 Likes

I extensively tried Audible; many books. Wasn’t able to finish one. Too slow absorption pace for my brain to handle. I calculated that I typically go from something like 300 wpm to about 60-100 wpm, and my brain de focuses.

This thread is a treasure trove. I have added a number of books from here to my reading list. I am currently reading:

1. Deep Thinking by Garry Kasporav - I spend an unhealthy amount of time watching chess. I picked this up to utilise that need in a productive manner. Kasporav not only provides an insight into his games with deep blue but also detailed knowledge of history of chess AI and how it operates. (@nemo I think will read Game Changer after this)

2. The age of surveillance capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff: This book is encyclopaedic. It will take me some time to read this but it promises to be interesting. Broadly, the author provides a detailed critique of how Big Tech operates. Evgeny Morozov has critiqued the book here

3 Likes

Whaaaaat!? I just finished reading The Way of Kings from his other series!

Agreed :+1:

1 Like

I’m currently, albeit very slowly, reading Sandworm and it’s blowing my mind! Thanks for the recommendation!

Currently reading A Mirror above the Abyss by Oleg Lurye, it’s very interesting. Ordered it via amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094NMRWPJ, the price is quite decent.

2 Likes

currently reading Deep Work by Cal Newport

Recently started reading “Life after Google: The fall of Big Data and Rise of Blockchain Economy” by George Gilder. It is about the software technology landscape and how cryptocurrency can change everything.

Also I read “Returning to the source” by Osho.

1 Like

I just started reading Attack Surface by Cory Doctorow and the author explores some really fascinating concepts and scenarios related to mass surveillance, personal privacy and cybersecurity. Quite along the lines of what I expect a lot of people out here to enjoy

Edit: See this link for some analysis of the tech covered in the book
https://pavelanni.github.io/attack-surface-tech/attack-surface-tech.html

1 Like

Your reading list is quite diverse and thought-provoking. “Against Empathy” sounds intriguing, challenging conventional wisdom. Exploring British history from the perspective of colonial subjects in “Insurgent Empire” adds an important dimension. Philip K. Dick’s classic and Morozov’s critical take on internet freedom promise engaging reads. Happy reading, and feel free to share your insights as you delve deeper into these fascinating books!

Now these day’s I’m reading stock related books like The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
and Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits by Philip Fisher.